Finally, government surveillance at every corner reflects the un-American idea that we ought to leave civil order to the police. At times Americans have abdicated our responsibilities as citizens. But in crises we rise up.
When terrorist attacks in the U.S. have actually been deterred, it’s been because of citizens acting. The shoe bomber was beaten by other passengers. The Times Square bomber was noticed by a vendor. And Flight 93 was brought down by hero passengers.
To stay safe we don’t need fewer civil liberties. We need more civil society.
- Why is there so much snow? https://t.co/AkCoxp2wCy 5 days ago
- From my energy company: "The utility industry is undergoing transformational change..." I mean, nice pun, but bad writing. 2 weeks ago
- #TeamRed twitter.com/RealEntropy/st… 3 months ago
- My printer barfed up a hair ball just now. instagram.com/p/Bkni4CYgRqS/… 4 months ago
- Waiting for the Space mumu #RiffTrax https://t.co/wvUaspZLqp 5 months ago