Finally, government surveillance at every corner reflects the un-American idea that we ought to leave civil order to the police. At times Americans have abdicated our responsibilities as citizens. But in crises we rise up.
When terrorist attacks in the U.S. have actually been deterred, it’s been because of citizens acting. The shoe bomber was beaten by other passengers. The Times Square bomber was noticed by a vendor. And Flight 93 was brought down by hero passengers.
To stay safe we don’t need fewer civil liberties. We need more civil society.
- Okay, that's enough rain now. 1 day ago
- RT @kelseyhoppe: A seminar for parents of gap year students. Come and discuss practical ways to help your child be safer when travelling! h… 1 week ago
- when you meant to get cherry lime but grabbed apple cranberry. :( 1 week ago
- I just learned a new word, which doesn't happen much anymore. Tergiversation. en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/tergivers… 3 weeks ago
- WHY DO I HAVE TO LOG INTO ALL MY APPS ON MY IPHONE AND WHY WON'T ANY OF THEM REMEMBER I ALREADY DID TWICE TODAY?!!?! 😡 1 month ago